Wednesday 7 September 2011

O plums

Just thought I would detail a yummy dessert I have made this week with fresh juicy plums from a local orchard. They actually seemed too nice to cook, but I was desperate to try out a new recipe.

First I made a sweet pastry case flavoured with lemon.

I stoned the plums and halved them and placed them in a baking dish then sprinkled with sugar. Into a medium heat oven they go and cook for about 15 mins until just soft and caramelly. They smell absolutely delicious and at this stage if you don't want to make a tart, just eat them as they are with clotted cream!

Once cooled, I placed them into the pastry case and sprinkled with a little more sugar and orange zest.

I made a quick custard mix with 75 ml of double cream, 4 egg yolks, dash of vanilla essence and 100 g sugar, mixed it well and poured it over the top of the plums.
Back into the oven it goes and cooks at about 160 for approx 30 mins or until the custard looks set and no longer wobbles.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool. It is delicious served with more cream!

Lots more plums to use up, so going to be part of my Christmas Chutney, if I can wait that long! The recipe I use for my chutney is amazing with cheese, I am sure it will be featured very soon on the cafe menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment